Saturday, April 18, 2009

Breakfast Couscous


I eat a lot of oatmeal. I like it, but I was excited to find this recipe. This is a great alternative to oatmeal, and because it's couscous, it takes about zero effort to cook. Seriously, I don't understand how this works, but it does, and it's REALLY good.

Here's another recipe where you can use what you have. Use whatever dried fruit you prefer or have on hand, and use whatever nuts you like. I used almonds but the original recipe calls for walnuts. Pecans would be good too.

First, bring the water and milk to a slow boil on the stove over low heat. Stir occasionally so the milk doesn't scald. While that's getting going, assemble the dry ingredients together in a bowl. I used raisins, craisins, and almonds along with the cousous, brown sugar and cinnamon.



Once the liquid is boiling, turn off the heat, add the dry ingredients and give it a stir. Then cover and let sit for 10 minutes.



That's all there is to it! I'm so glad to have found this recipe. I can see myself making a batch of this on the weekend, and having it for breakfast all week!

Breakfast Couscous

1 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup uncooked couscous
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped nuts, toasted
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt

Bring water and milk to a boil in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining ingredients; remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Serves three, can easily be doubled or tripled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.