Monday, October 19, 2009

Cranberry Gingerbread Muffins



By now you know that I love muffins. They're easy to make, nice to have on hand, and delicious to eat. I've had this recipe for some time, and held myself back from making them this summer - now that the weather is cooler I could justify gingerbread!

These muffins are SO good - and they're so easy - you don't even need to get out a mixer.

Start by combining the flour, sugar and ginger in a large mixing bowl.



Add the baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon.



Next measure out the liquid ingredients. I did this in a large measuring cup so I would only dirty one dish! First I measured the water and the oil, which together made 1 cup, then I added molasses until it reached 1 1/3. (The other bonus with using this method is that the molasses blends with the oil and does not stick to the measuring cup! All the molasses-ey goodness goes straight into the batter!)



Finally, add the yogurt and the egg and whisk well to combine all the ingredients.



Add the liquid ingredients to the dry, and stir just until moistened.



Then add the cranberries and stir to incorporate them into the batter.



Line muffin cups with paper liners or use nonstick cooking spray. Fill muffin cups and bake for 18-22 minutes. Your house will smell divine! Although I'm still hoping for an Indian Summer, I'll take the cool weather if it means making these muffins often!

Get more great ideas at Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table and What's Cooking Wednesday, Ingredient Spotlight.

Cranberry Gingerbread Muffins

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and chopped

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a glass measuring cup, measure out the water, then oil and molasses. Add the egg and yogurt and whisk well to combine. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.

Line muffin cups with paper liners, and fill with batter. Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 12.

9 comments:

  1. I love making gingerbread in the fall. The smell of gingerbread baking smells wonderful. The cranberries sound like an added bonus. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think I have ever had gingerbread muffins. They sound yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gingerbread... thanks for a great recipe. I have it bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! My two favorite things in baked goods put together! You have just become God to me! The muffins look so moist and delicious. One day, I'm going to have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great flavor combination, Sara. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That combination sounds great and makes me ready for Christmas!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, I feel I have lucked onto a gold mine. I have been cooking for 3 days. This has to be one of my favorites though. On my third batch. I am hoping that they freeze well. Have to have hand surgery and wanted to make a few things ahead. Geri

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.