Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chicken and Black Bean Tostadas



I adore my toaster oven, especially in the summer. I avoid using my oven at almost any cost, since it heats up my un-air-conditioned house to a boiling point. So I love that I can still get the same effect using my toaster oven, with no rising thermometer!

These are a delicious, quick meal idea and they re-heat really well for lunches too. I usually just make a few at a time, keeping the topping in the fridge. You can also freeze the topping for future use. You can also adapt this easily to your family's tastes and what you have on hand - if you have some extra bell pepper, throw it in! Avacado slices would be delicious on top of the tostadas too.

For the topping, combine the chicken and rotel



(I crush the rotel in my mini chopper since I don't like chunks!) and stir well to combine. Then drain and rinse the black beans



and add them to the chicken



along with the corn.



Stir it up well, and then toast the tortillas briefly (til they start to turn golden, using the broil setting). This way, they don't get too soggy under the filling. Top the tortillas with the chicken mixture



then sprinkle with cheese.



Return to the toaster oven and broil til the cheese melts. Serve with your favorite toppings like salsa, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, etc.

There are more recipes at Foodie Friday, Food on Friday and Friday Food.

Chicken and Black Bean Tostadas

2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1 can rotel
1 can black beans
1 can corn
2 cups shredded mexican cheese
10-12 corn tortillas

Combine chicken, rotel, black beans and corn in a large bowl and stir well to combine. Toast tortillas using broil setting on a toaster oven (or 400 in a regular oven) til golden, then top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Return to the toaster oven and broil until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc. Makes 10-12 tostadas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.