Monday, April 25, 2011

Blender Bread



Last week, I got home from the store and had forgotten to buy hamburger buns for sloppy joes. Rats! Then I remembered that I had this recipe! This is fast homemade bread - less than 2 hours from start to finish. It made a good base for sloppy joes, and it's great to have such a fast recipe when you're in a pinch, or when you just don't want to go back to the store.

This bread is called blender bread, because the first main step is to combine the sugar, eggs, oil and yeast in a blender.



Then add in some milk that you've warmed in the microwave.



Blend it all together, then pour it over the flour and salt that you've combined in a large mixing bowl.



Stir well to combine the wet and dry ingredients.



Then let this just sit and rise for about half an hour. When that time is up, break off the chunks of dough to make rolls into your desired shape. I was making buns, so I pulled off pieces of dough and made them into balls, then slightly flattened them when I placed them on the cookie sheet. (I had to keep flouring my hands as I did this - the dough was really sticky! Lightly oiling or flouring your hands will help keep the dough from sticking all over your fingers.)



(You can make cloverleaf rolls by pinching off smaller pieces, and putting three pieces in a muffin cup.) Note that my rolls are WAY TOO BIG!!! I don't know what I was thinking!

Once the rolls are on the baking sheet or in the muffin tin, cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot to let rise for another half an hour.



Then bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and the rolls sound hollow when lightly tapped.



One year ago: Balsamic Chicken with Spring Vegetables
Two years ago: Frozen Strawberry Pie, Mediterranean Casserole

Find more inspiration at Mouthwatering Mondays, Mangia Mondays, Make a Food "e" Friend Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday (#2), Delectable Tuesday, A Themed Baker's Sunday.

Blender Bread

1 cup milk
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt

Heat milk in microwave until warm. Pour warm milk, yeast, sugar, eggs, and oil into a blender. Blend well until smooth and combined. In a large bowl combine flour and salt, then add the blender mix. Stir well until the dry ingredients are well incorporated, then let rise (right in the bowl) for 30 minutes.

Shape into your desired shape - make buns by rolling golf-ball sized balls and slightly flatten, or place three small "pinches" of dough into muffin cups to create cloverleaf rolls. Put rolls on a lightly greased cookie sheet and let rise 30 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 18 - 20 minutes.

13 comments:

  1. like you said, it's really nice to have these types of recipes to go to in a pinch!

    thanks so much for linking up to magia mondays!

    -kristin

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. very neat recipe. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seems easy enough! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks easy enough, I'm not really a baker, but they look great! Especially with sloppy joes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could this be made into a loaf? I would love to make homemade bread especially if it is this easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon, I don't see why not. You'd have to adjust the baking time a bit, but otherwise, it should work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these type of basic pantry recipes! We had sloppy joes Monday night. When I went to the store they only had one brand of hamburger buns left that were $2.50 a package. Needless to say I didn't buy them, I bought a cheaper brand of hot dog buns and that's what we had our sj's on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These rolls look wonderful ... I cant wait to try them out ... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will give making it a loaf a try - thanks Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool, nv heard of this before! got to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indus Infra Engineers provides manufacturers, suppliers, exports, and imports Dry Blenders .

    ReplyDelete
  12. These did not turn out very well for me. :(

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.