Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cinnamon Raisin Quick Bread



If you're doing meal prep or planning for the upcoming holidays, do yourself a favor and make a few loaves of this bread, then stick it in the freezer! It can easily be doubled and will keep well wrapped in saran, then in foil, or wrapped in foil then put in a ziptop bag.

This bread will liven up a breakfast or brunch buffet on its own, and tomorrow I'll show you how to use it to make a spectacular breakfast (or lunch, or supper) for your guests (or just yourself - no need to save it for special occasions!)

This bread comes together quickly and without a mixer. (Now don't get me wrong. I love my mixer. But sometimes it's nice just to whip up something "by hand.")

Start by combining the flour, sugar



baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg and oil and whisk well. Then add this to the flour mixture



and stir just until combined. Stir in the raisins.



Place half the batter in a greased loaf pan. In a small bowl, combine the remaining sugar and the cinnamon.



Sprinkle half of this over the batter in the pan.



Pour the remaining batter over the cinnamon sugar, and then top with the rest of the cinnamon sugar. Cut in with a table knife to create swirls.



Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Look how lovely this looks when sliced!



One year ago: Cranberry Apple Cake
Two years ago: Caramel-Pecan Apple Pie

Find more inspiration at Let's Do Brunch, Merry Munchies, What's Cooking Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked, Bake with Bizzy.

Cinnamon Raisin Quick Bread

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar, divided
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup raisins
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 cups sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Combine cinnamon and remaining 1/4 cup; set aside.

Spoon half of the batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with half of the reserved cinnamon-sugar; repeat layers. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl.

Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks. Makes 12 slices.

Recipe Source: Taste of Home

7 comments:

  1. What a great bread!! We love our yeast-based cinnamon breads - so this looks like something yummy to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a mixer that's why I like this kind of recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    Sweet & Sour Fish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mixing things up without a mixer, using a big balloon whisk. It's very therapeutic (although like you, I love my mixer too!). This recipe looks wonderful and I'm definitely going to give it a try. Cinnamon is a real favourite in our house and I love the how the swirls look! Thank you for sharing this post with Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this on Let's Do Brunch and decided to take a peek at the recipe. I was sitting here, trying to decide what to bake hubby and you gave me the answer. If I have time tonight, I will surprise him with it. Thanks for sharing the "perfect" recipe for me.

    Would you like to share this at Bake With Bizzy?
    http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2011/12/bake-with-bizzy-baked-vegetable-loaf.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I made this and it turned out to be a great success. Hubby loves it.

    http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2011/12/cinnamon-nut-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds scrumptious for dessert or mornings come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great technique. I do that to make marble cake all the time but never thought to try it with cinnamon and sugar.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.