Tuesday, September 25, 2012

English Muffin Bread


I love English muffins. My mom usually has english muffin bread on hand when I visit, and I have found that I love that, too. What's not to love? Lots of crinkly pockets to soak up peanut butter or jam, a nice crunchy texture that is still a little soft on the inside, did I mention the melty peanut butter? I saw this recipe a while back, and knew I would want to try it.

When I had a lazy Sunday afternoon, I jumped at the opportunity. And I'm so glad I did. I scarfed down a couple pieces soon after it was out of the oven, and then looked forward to breakfast! I think I might have even had dreams about this bread. It's that good.

This makes two loaves; you can put one in the freezer if you can't eat it right away. The loaf will stay good on the counter for a couple days, but it probably won't last that long!

In addition to making outrageously good toast, this bread is super fantastic for grilled cheese! Make some!

Start by proofing the yeast. In a large measuring cup, measure out 1 cup warm water, then add the yeast


and the sugar. Give this a quick stir, then let it sit for about 10 minutes or until nice and foamy, like this:


(A note on yeast: if you're using instant yeast, you can skip this step. Just combine the yeast, all the water, sugar, salt and half the flour in a large bowl. I use active yeast because I can buy it at Costco in bulk for about 1/100 of the price of instant in the grocery store!)

Meanwhile, measure out 3 cups of flour and combine in it in a large mixing bowl with the salt.


Once the yeast is foamy, add it to the flour mixture.


Add the remaining water, then stir or mix with the mixer. Add the remaining flour and mix again. The dough will be very sticky. Cover with a dishtowel and allow the dough to rise til about doubled in size. Then stir down with a wooden spoon.


Grease up your hands liberally, then divide the dough and put it into two greased loaf pans.


Cover the pans with the dishtowel and let rise again.


Bake for about 30 minutes or until the bread is golden.


Remove the bread from the pans immediately cover the tops with butter.


Let cool, then toast, grill, or enjoy this bread plain. It's delicious no matter the preparation!

One year ago: Peach Coffeecake
Two years ago: Poppyseed Bread
Three years ago: Roasted Cauliflower

Find more great recipes at Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday at the Table, Tasty Tuesday (#2), Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tasteful Tuesdays, Tuesday Talent Show, Hearth & Soul, Cast Party Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday.

English Muffin Bread

2 3/4 cups very warm water
1 1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1 Tbsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
5 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. butter

In a 4-cup measuring cup, combine the yeast, 1 cup of the water and the sugar. Stir briefly then let sit for 10 minutes or so until it gets foamy. (This is called "proofing" the yeast. If you're using instant yeast, you don't need to do this step. Just combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.)

In a large bowl, combine the remaining water, 3 cups of the flour and salt. Mix. Add the remaining flour and mix again. The dough will be very, very sticky. Cover the bowl with a dishcloth and let the dough rise until doubled. Stir down the dough with a wooden spoon.

Divide the dough between two well greased loaf pans. Cover the loaves with the dishtowel and let the bread rise until doubled in size.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and turn the bread out onto a cooling rack. Spread the butter on the tops of the loaves while they are still warm.

Store the bread in a ziploc bag on the counter for several days, or wrap in plastic wrap and place in a ziploc freezer bag to freeze and enjoy later. Makes 2 loaves.

Recipe Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

1 comment:

  1. I love English Muffin bread! I have a recipe that I found about 15 years ago and it has become a family favorite!

    I would love it if you would drop by my blog at http://FeedingBig.blogspot.com and join Foodie Friends Friday!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe and hope you drop by!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.