Monday, September 15, 2014

Tomato Tortellini Soup


When I got my assignment for Secret Recipe Club, it was still summer. But when it came time to make my recipe, it really felt like fall. And it still does. I'm holding out hope for an Indian summer, but until then, I will have this delicious soup from Amy at The Savvy Kitchen to keep me warm.

There's nothing better than tomato soup, (even though I don't really care for raw tomatoes, I adore tomato soup!) and I love that this soup uses canned tomato soup as its base. I always have it in my cupboard! Add some cheesy tortellini and yummy Parmesan, and boost the tomato impact with sundried tomatoes, and you have a super fast, easy and flavorful supper (or lunch)! This one is a winner all around. Thanks, Amy!

Note: Amy uses fresh tortellini in her recipe. I had dried in the cupboard, so I used that and it worked beautifully. If you use fresh, a 9 oz. package of the refrigerated variety is what you need.


Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add the tortellini. Cook for 8-9 minutes, then drain.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat and add the onion and garlic;


saute until golden brown. Add in the Italian seasoning,


chicken broth,


sundried tomatoes


tomato soup and milk.


Stir well to combine all the ingredients and bring the soup to a simmer. Add in the (mostly) cooked tortellini,


and simmer for 2 minutes. (If you're adding fresh tortellini here, cook for as long as the package directs.)


Remove the soup from the heat and add in about half of the Parmesan cheese.


Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with remaining cheese.


Tomato Tortellini Soup

1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 (10 3/4 oz.) cans condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 cup dried tortellini (stuffed with spinach and ricotta, or your favorite variety)
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add the tortellini. Cook for 8-9 minutes, then drain.

Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic with the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat until golden brown.

When the onions are soft, add tomato soup, sundried tomatoes, milk, chicken broth and Italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer.

Once simmering, drop tortellini into the soup and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in half the Parmesan. Ladle soup into bowls and top with remaining parmesan.





8 comments:

  1. I love soup season! This looks like a fantastic soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Well, sort, of. When I got my assignment it was summer, when I made it we were in the middle of a freak summer blizzard. All is well in the world again, snow has melted and heat is back. Hope you get a little more heat in your parts as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a bowl of homemade soup, nothing more comforting! I've never added canned tomato soup to my pasta soup though, so I definitely need to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm homemade tomato soup just makes me feel all warm and cuddly inside! Great SRC pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm holding out for an Indian summer too but I'd still make this soup regardless :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a great soup and yours is just that! Saving for the cool evenings ahead. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed this! So funny we had each other's blogs this month :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.